Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

This is by far my favorite body scrub and the best part is that it is completely home made! I used this scrub several times a week when I shower to exfoliate my whole body, leaving it feeling soft, moisturized, and providing an overall more toned appearance. It's made up of 3 simple ingredients: Coconut oil, brown sugar, and ground coffee. Each ingredient provides its own secret super power that , when combined, works wonders!


First, Coconut oil is amazing. For hair, eyes, body, and even cooking! Buy this frequently and always have it on hand. Fun Fact: Coconut oil is one of the only unsaturated fats (good fat) that is solid as room temperature, but as soon as it comes in contact with body temperature, turns liquid. There is an endless list of things Coconut oil can be used but in this case I will introduce you to two of my favorites. I like to include it in my body scrub because it cleanses and moisturizes my body at the same time. Oil traps moisture, allowing the skin to stay hydrated and also provides my body with a natural glow. As an added bonus, I don't even need to apply lotion afterwards, and it doesn't make my skin feel oily or greasy after drying off.

One of my other favorite uses is massaging an ample amount of coconut oil into my hair while I shower. This nutritious bath makes my hair feel really soft the next few days. I like to do this at night and let my hair air dry. I'd recommend doing this on nights when you don't have anything special planned the next day because it does make you're hair appear really greasy. But do note that after a good shampoo and conditioner session, your hair should be free of all the coconut oil (and greasiness), while still retaining its softness and shine. I like to do this at least once a week.


Secondly, brown sugar. I include brown sugar in this mix primarily for it's "scrubbing" purposes. This is the main component that will exfoliate and soften your skin. By altering the amount of brown sugar you add into the mix, you can choose how rough you want the mixture to be.


Lastly, ground coffee. This may sound a little weird and it definitely makes the scrub look a little less appetizing, but this ingredient is key! The caffeine in coffee has a tightening affect on the cells in your body, allowing your body to appear more toned, reducing the appearance of cellulite. I like to use this scrub on my legs for this exact reason. Please keep in mind though, it will not get rid of cellulite, that can only be done through exercise and healthy eating habits.


So here's how to make it:

Find a decent sized jar or container.
(1) Fill half of container with coconut oil
(2) 1/4 brown sugar
(3) 1/4 ground coffee

As you can see, very simple and easy to replenish. It's practically free if you already have the ingredients! And of course, you're welcome to change the amount of each ingredient to find a mix that works for you. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment